Available Online

Au Pair Tax Services

*Special price*

  • 45 minutes
  • $80
  • Location 1

Service Description

Au Pair An au pair is always admitted into the United States on a J-1 visa. Au pairs stay with host families chosen by sponsoring organizations, and are provided a private bedroom, meals, a full weekend off each month, two weeks paid vacation, up to $500 toward attending an institution of higher education, and a cash stipend tied to the U.S. minimum wage. Income Tax Withholding Since au pair wages are paid for domestic service in a private home, they are not subject to mandatory U.S. income tax withholding and reporting on Forms 941 and W-2. However, au pair wages are includible in the gross income of the recipients, and au pairs are required to file U.S. individual income tax returns. Au Pair wages are essentially in the nature of household employment. At the current wage rate it is likely that the au pair will have an income tax liability on their U.S. individual income tax return because nonresident aliens (with certain exceptions) are not able to claim the Standard Deduction. Income Tax Filing Most au pairs are nonresident aliens, and therefore will be required to file Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ to report their au pair wages. As a nonresident alien, an au pair is not eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, the Hope Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit. An au pair is not really a "student" in the United States; therefore, is not eligible to exclude their au pair wages from gross income under the student article of any U.S. income tax treaty.

Contact Details

  • Asheville, NC, USA